Thursday, September 2, 2010

Day 14 - Final Exams - The End of Garde Manger

Tonight was our finals, they count for 25% of our grades - a written and a practical. We had to produce, Mayonnaise, Red Pepper Coulis, Vichysoisse and Caesar Salad with Garlic Croutons.

I started by roasting my peppers and sauting the onions and leeks for the vichysoisse. I peeled the potato and placed it in water. I, then started work on the mayonnaise and continued checking on the vichysoisse. I was multi-tasking - taking my bowl of mayo and my whisk over to the stove to add the diced potatoes and chicken stock - set to simmer until the potatoes are cooked. I finished up the mayonnaise and got that grade out of the way.

The vichysoisse was ready to be strained and for the cream to be added - and back to the stove to boil for a second. I poured the vichysoisse in another bowl and started the cooling process. I prepared the cream and green onion garnish and set it aside. I placed the bowl of vichysoisse in the walk in to chill.

I started on the caesar salad dressing next - mashing one anchovy with one clove of garlic, added the other ingredients - bam...dressing was done. It took me serveral minutes to find a salad spinner - every spinner I picked up was broke...four minutes later I was on my way again. I sliced up my french bread and started on the garlic croutons. I tore the romaine, placed it in the bowl with the dressing and tossed in a few garlic croutons and parm - tossed around and plated - time for a grade.

I ran back to the walk in and grabbed the chilled bowl of vichysoisse to be graded.

I now have about twenty minutes left of class and the red pepper coulis is not finished...the peppers aren't even peeled. I manage to put a rush on and got it completed barely in time - reducing the white wine and reducing the stock - and graded just in time!

So that was the practical. I didn't have time for any photos - you all know what mayonnaise looks like. Thankfully I did pretty well on this part of the final! Because for some reason, I do awful on written tests.

No comments:

Post a Comment